Tried out several compression utilities some time ago, using the programs mentioned in this extensive article. Here are my findings in short:
- 7-zip: The best compression (87-90%)
- rzip: More than three times as fas as 7zip, and almost as good
- lzop: insanely fast and sufficient compression (70-74%).
The biggest test was with a 8MB tarfile composed of Word documents and textfiles. Average filesize 20KB.
- 7-zip: 87% compression in 35 sec
- rzip: 84% compression in 9 sec
- lzop: 74% compression in 0.5 sec (!)
The other with a 810KB tarfile (mostly C and Python code).
- 7-zip: 85kb, 1.5sec
- rzip: 102kb, 0.6sek
- lzop: 214kb, 0.06sek